Small Rare Sunburst Variegated Prickly Pear
Sunburst Prickly Pear
Scientific name: Opuntia cochenillifera variegata
Specimen size: 5-8”, in a nursery pot in-store, or ships bare root
This amazing specimen is intentionally grown to create variegation and does not occur in the wild with this coloration. Fast growing specimen. Always use gloves when handling!
1. Find a sunny location for your Sunburst where it can bask in bright sunlight for at least six hours a day. This cactus loves the sun!
2. Keep your Sunburst happy in temperatures ranging from 50 to 90 °F. It can withstand some fluctuations, but avoid extreme heat or frost.
3. Embrace the drought-tolerant nature of your Sunburst. Allow the soil to dry out completely between waterings, typically every 2-3 weeks in summer and even less in winter.
4. Well-Draining Soil: Plant your Opuntia in a well-draining soil mix, specifically formulated for cacti and succulents. This ensures excess moisture doesn't linger around the roots.
5. Minimal Fertilizer: Sunburst doesn't require frequent fertilization. Feed it sparingly with a balanced cactus fertilizer once or twice during the growing season. We highly recommend our house blend fertilizer!
6. Watch out for common pests like mealybugs and scale insects. Regularly inspect your Opuntia and treat any infestations promptly with an appropriate insecticide. Use our weekly preventative spray!
7. If you want to propagate your Opuntia, you can do so by carefully removing pads or offsets and allowing them to callus for a few days before planting them in well-draining soil. Do this especially if your plant starts drooping from the weight of new growth!
8. Prune your Opuntia with caution. Use clean, sharp tools to remove any damaged or dead pads, being mindful of the sharp spines.